I always wanted to start a reviews thread but I was convinced I would only keep that for 2 weeks or so. After my Essential Pop Records thread, I decided to post my thoughts on albums you recommended, something that would help me & motivate me as well!
I'm gonna post a short review (maybe even track-by-track for some albums) for every recommended album I listen. I might even do an occasional 'new release review' if there's an album I want to comment.
Album list (to date): 1. Purple Rain - Prince and The Revolution
1. Let's Go Crazy Now, that's how you open an album. The song is great and I'm surprised by how simple it really is. To be honest, I was expecting a different sound from Prince but this is pure 80s pop.
2. Take Me With U A solid song. Love the synths. Not a highlight but still, a good pop track.
3. The Beautiful Ones I can't stop switching between "one of the strongest tracks on the album" vs "one of the weakest tracks on the album". I love the title line and I love the slow build to the song's climax.
4. Computer Blue Love the production on this one. At this point I started realizing that there wouldn't be any bad songs on the record. I get that they had to shorten this so as to include TMWU but the song deserved better than having just a verse. The guitar solos though. Damn.
5. Darling Nikki I'd heard this song before, just because Rihanna covered this for the Loud Tour and then I'd decided to listen to the original as well. That happened 7 years ago, when I was like 12. This was basically a first listen. I wanted a stronger hook, or actually a hook but the song is so f*ckin unique, a true trailblazer.
6. When Doves Cry Oh my God. This song is brilliant. The best song so far, without a doubt. I can't really find anything bad to say about it. I guess that this song has inspired many artists of our generation. The hook is out of this world. The songwriting is clever yet simple. I'm in shock. I'm gonna stop now.
7. I Would Die 4 U Damn. That's my song. That's my freaking song. The one with the most familiar sound. Top notch production. A song you could catch on the radio in 2018. I'm surprised this isn't considered an '80s synthpop classic. I'm not done with this song.
8. Baby I'm A Star A party anthem. It's probably my least favorite song on the record cause it's not my cup of tea, but still, it's not even close to being bad.
9. Purple Rain Pretty much the only Prince song I was familiar with. A beautiful way to close the album. A highlight and I can see why this is considered an all time classic. I love the lyrics here.
The verdict: I think I'm being immature and overreacting but I'm not. I absolutely loved this album. I always thought that Prince wasn't my cup of tea and I was weirdly biased against him. I was pleasantly surprised, well, shocked. Call it what you want but I feel like the album will definitely influence me overtime and IWD4U already started getting in my head & helped me with a certain song I was struggling with.
Rating: A Favorite tracks: "I Would Die 4 U", "When Doves Cry", "Purple Rain"
Some of the icons seen in this theme are being used pursuant to a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright owners of these icons are Webdesigner Depot (the announcement icon) and Iconshock (the microphone icons on the forum pages, star icon, and poll icon). The microphone icons seen on the home page are being used pursuant to a Freeware Non-Commercial License with McDo Design (Susumu Yoshida). In accordance with these licenses, redistribution of the icons is not permitted. Please visit the owners' respective sites, linked above, if you wish to use these images.